Jun 13, 2011

Tomato Basil Bisque

Soup is one of my favorite things to make.  Soup can be made from almost any ingredient, allows for endless creativity, and warms the souls of those I love.  It was a particularly good summer day to make soup. The dark clouds threatened a storm, the breeze almost fall like.  With the air conditioner on full blast, it was actually a little chilly.  Perfect.  The farmers' market had a wonderful selection of gorgeous, locally grown tomatoes, so I picked up a bunch along with some fresh basil.  There is something special about looking into the eyes of the person who grew the food you are about to prepare.  This Kansas farmer had deep smile lines in her sun kissed face, and she was the happiest person I met all day.
My inspiration for this recipe is my love for tomato bisque combined with my fascination with French Onion Soup.  French Onion Soup is the only soup that comes with a crispy, buttery crouton topped with gooey, bubbly cheese.  That is usually reason enough for me to order it at my favorite restaurant, as opposed to the soup of the day.  I combined the ideas and gave my tomato basil bisque a cheesy hat of its own.  I use Farm to Market sourdough bread and fresh buffalo mozzarella to make this soup a fantasy come true.

Tomato Basil Bisque
6-8 large, fresh tomatoes (sub canned tomatoes if desired, or when not in season)
1 lb carrots, peeled
Olive Oil
4 tbl butter
1 large sweet onion, chopped
6 celery ribs, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbl tomato paste (use good Italian brand)
1 32oz box chicken stock (sub veggie stock to make this recipe vegetarian)
Cholula hot sauce to taste
1/2 C half & half or milk
1/2 C fresh basil
Kosher Salt
Pepper


First, preheat oven to 400°.  Slice tomatoes in half and toss with carrots on sheet pan in olive oil, a good sprinkling kosher salt, and cracked pepper.  This is the time I start putting love into my food.  I believe it is important to touch your food, be a part of the dish.  People can taste love in a dish, and it starts with choosing the freshest, best ingredients I can find.  I continue to infuse love at this step by coating the juicy tomatoes and firm carrots in olive oil with a light massage.  Roast in the oven for 45 minutes.  While the tomatoes are releasing their sweet juices in the oven, cook onions and celery in butter and a splash of olive oil until soft, about 10 minutes.  Add garlic and tomato paste, cook one minute.  Add stock and hot sauce.  I use about 2 tablespoons Cholula hot sauce.  Once the tomatoes are done, slip their withered skins off and add to the pot along with the carrots.



Next, puree the soup with your chosen method.  I use my immersion blender, but you can use a blender or food processor.  Once the soup is smooth, add half&half and basil.  I chiffonade the basil, which is just stacking the basil leaves, rolling them tight, and cutting into thin strips.

Ladle the soup into oven safe crocks.
You can stop here, and eat this delicious soup with a hunk of crusty bread, or a grilled cheese sandwich.  Or, you can follow on to my soup fantasy world, in which all soups wear cheesy crouton armour.


Cut slices of bread about the size of your soup crock.  Drizzle with olive oil and toast in a 400° oven for 10 minutes.  Slice fresh mozzarella into thin rounds.  Buffalo milk mozzarella is wonderful, but you may substitute cow's milk mozzarella if desired.  Place crouton on top of soup, and arrange mozzarella slices on crouton.  Place crocks on a sheet pan and surrender them under the broiler until brown and bubbly.



Serve this soup to those you love.  You will fill their souls with comfort and they will love you back.

2 comments:

  1. Yummmm!! I don't even like tomatoes and you make that look quite delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so delicious! When are you having me over???

    ReplyDelete